Having your child living away from home during the work week is an adjustment for both parents and children. The Provincial Demonstration Schools have exciting and inclusive residence programs that make children feel comfortable in their new home away from home! Here are some things parents can consider before their child heads off to a Demonstration School.
What to Pack
What to pack
There is a packing list that you will all receive from the Provincial Demonstration School Board. Please follow these guidelines; but also know that this will be your Childs home away from home for a full school year. Make up a bulletin board with photos from home, removable wall hooks (that do not leave marks or take off paint) to hang up bathrobes, wet towels, winter jackets etc.
- A small carpet so they don’t put their feet on a cold floor first thing in the morning.
- A pair of indoor shoes/slippers for the residence.
- A small bin or box for those small toys and trinkets that they end up with over the course of the year
- Some students bring guitars/musical instruments
- Many bring posters for the walls (blue stick tape to hold them up)
What to Pack In?
You can pack in whatever suitcase or duffle bag you want; but the students need to transport everything from the bus/plane to residence then back to the school on Friday morning and again to the bus/plane. Wheels are highly recommended- it makes for a much easier transition.